Solid Waste Management Section
The Montana DEQ regulates solid waste facilities in Montana. This includes municipal landfills, construction and demolition waste landfills, septic tank land application sites, and motor vehicle recycling and disposal sites. These functions are achieved by technical reviews, licensing, certifications, compliance monitoring, training and technical assistance. Our goal is to assure that the environment is adequately protected from the hazards of waste disposal.
We provide the following services:
- Technical review and licensing of solid waste treatment and disposal facility design and operational plans;
- Conduct inspections of solid waste management facilities and provide technical assistance to maintain compliance;
- License septic tank pumpers and inspect disposal sites for septic tank and sump wastes;
- Provide training for owners and operators of solid waste disposal facilities;
- Technical review and licensing of motor vehicle recycling and disposal facilities.