Discharges Associated with Produced Water
The purpose of the Produced Water General Permit is to regulate discharge wastewater resulting from oil/natural gas production wells to ephemeral drainage ways or holding ponds for the purpose of the prescribed beneficial use. Discharges are not authorized to state surface waters other than ephemeral drainages. The discharge for the beneficial use shall be in accordance with effluent limitations, monitoring requirements, and other conditions set forth in the General Permit.
The Produced Water General Permit is in compliance with the Montana Water Quality Act, Title 75, Chapter 5, Montana Code Annotated (MCA), and the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (the “Clean Water Act”), 33 U.S.C. 1251 et. seq., A written authorization letter from the Department is required before and applicant is authorized to discharge under the General Permit.
- General Permit for Discharges Associated with Produced Water
- Fact Sheet
- Permit Fee Schedule for Applications and Annual Fees
- Application Package for Produced Water General Permit.
- NOI-31 Notice of Intent Produced Water General Permit form.
- Form PW-1 Produced Water Impoundment Capacity Self Evaluation
- Water Quality Analysis – Applicants must submit a water quality analysis of the proposed discharge for the parameters listed in Table 3 (also found in form NOI 31) of the General Permit for Discharges Associated with Produced Water (available above) as an attachment to their application package.
- Rules and Regulations